Social media is any form of online publication or presence that allows end users to engage in multi-directional conversations in or around the content on the website. In essence, social media is the use of technology combined with social interaction to create or co-create value. Social media can take many different forms, including Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, podcasts, pictures, video, and social bookmarking.
With over 200 social networking sites and many more message boards and public forums on the Web, it’s obvious social media has changed the way we communicate. As a writer for the Web, it’s important to learn about social media so marketing efforts can be maximized, writing materials can conform to current standards, and targeted audiences can be reached.
The following is not an exhaustive list; these are just some of the most commonly used social media sites.
- Facebook: Facebook is a social networking Web site that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter: Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets.
See Also: 50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business
- YouTube: YouTube is a video-sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos.
See Also: 34 Ways to Use YouTube for Business
- Flickr: Flickr is an image and video hosting Web site, web services suite, and online community created by Ludicorp and later acquired by Yahoo!. In addition to being a popular Web site for users to share and embed personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
See Also: How to Market on Flickr
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a social networking site that connets professionals.
- Delicious: Delicious is a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks. The site was founded by Joshua Schachter in 2003 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005.
See Also: How To Use Delicious Like a Pro.
- MySpace: MySpace is a social networking website known for allowing its users to customize their profile pages.
- Reddit: Reddit is a social news website. Users can browse and have the option to submit links to content on the Internet or submit “self” posts that contain original, user-submitted text. Other users may then vote the posted links “up” or “down” with the most successful links gaining prominence by reaching the front page.
See Also: Writing for Reddit.
Most popular baby names - social security administration, You are exiting the social security administration's website. ssa cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided by such websites. if we provide a link to such. Social media site usage 2014 | pew research center, While facebook remains the most popular social media site, other platforms — like linkedin, pinterest, instagram and twitter — saw higher rates of growth over the. Teens, social media & technology overview 2015 | pew, 24% of teens go online “almost constantly,” facilitated by the widespread availability of smartphones. aided by the convenience and constant access provided by.
Social media examiner: social media marketing how to, Social media examiner helps businesses master social media marketing to find leads, increase sales and improve branding using facebook, linkedin, twitter, pinterest. Social media - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Diagram depicting the many different types of social media. social media are computer-mediated tools that allow people, companies and other organizations to create. Home | social media today, Social media today brings together the news, trends and best practices around enterprise social and digital marketing. editorially independent website, we also host.
List of social networking websites - wikipedia, the free, This is a list of major active social networking websites and excludes dating websites (see comparison of online dating websites). for defunct social networking. Social media revolution 2011 - youtube, Http://www.socialnomics.net/ part of the world's most watched social media video series; "social media revolution" by erik qualman. based on #1. 10 surprising social media statistics that will make you, Editor's note: this is one of the most-read leadership articles of 2013. click here to see the full list. if you’re managing social media for your business, it.