Social media is any form of online publication or presence that allows end users to engage in multi-directional conversations in or around the content on the website. In essence, social media is the use of technology combined with social interaction to create or co-create value. Social media can take many different forms, including Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, podcasts, pictures, video, and social bookmarking.
With over 200 social networking sites and many more message boards and public forums on the Web, it’s obvious social media has changed the way we communicate. As a writer for the Web, it’s important to learn about social media so marketing efforts can be maximized, writing materials can conform to current standards, and targeted audiences can be reached.
The following is not an exhaustive list; these are just some of the most commonly used social media sites.
- Facebook: Facebook is a social networking Web site that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter: Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets.
See Also: 50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business
- YouTube: YouTube is a video-sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos.
See Also: 34 Ways to Use YouTube for Business
- Flickr: Flickr is an image and video hosting Web site, web services suite, and online community created by Ludicorp and later acquired by Yahoo!. In addition to being a popular Web site for users to share and embed personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
See Also: How to Market on Flickr
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a social networking site that connets professionals.
- Delicious: Delicious is a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks. The site was founded by Joshua Schachter in 2003 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005.
See Also: How To Use Delicious Like a Pro.
- MySpace: MySpace is a social networking website known for allowing its users to customize their profile pages.
- Reddit: Reddit is a social news website. Users can browse and have the option to submit links to content on the Internet or submit “self” posts that contain original, user-submitted text. Other users may then vote the posted links “up” or “down” with the most successful links gaining prominence by reaching the front page.
See Also: Writing for Reddit.
Most popular baby names - social security administration, You are exiting the social security administration's website. ssa cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided by such websites. if we provide a link to such. Social media site usage 2014 | pew research center, While facebook remains the most popular social media site, other platforms — like linkedin, pinterest, instagram and twitter — saw higher rates of growth over the. Teens, social media & technology overview 2015 | pew, Facebook is the most popular and frequently used social media media content analysis and other empirical social science research. pew research center does not.
Social media examiner: social media marketing how to, Do you struggle to determine an accurate roi in social media marketing? wondering which of your social media campaigns are most profitable? it’s important to know. Social media - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Some of the most popular social media websites are facebook (and its associated facebook messenger), whatsapp, tumblr, instagram, twitter, baidu tieba and snapchat.. Trending - nytimes.com, Trending beta. loading most watched. what’s cooking the most popular recipes on nyt cooking right now. loading go to home page.
Social media engagement statistics - business insider, The best data on social media engagement, and where social audiences spend their time. plus, what do they like to do on social networks?. List of social networking websites - wikipedia, the free, This is a list of major active social networking websites and excludes dating websites (see comparison of online dating websites). for defunct social networking. 10 surprising social media statistics that will make you, We all knew social media was popular, but this popular? apparently it’s the most common thing we do online..