Social media is any form of online publication or presence that allows end users to engage in multi-directional conversations in or around the content on the website. In essence, social media is the use of technology combined with social interaction to create or co-create value. Social media can take many different forms, including Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, podcasts, pictures, video, and social bookmarking.
With over 200 social networking sites and many more message boards and public forums on the Web, it’s obvious social media has changed the way we communicate. As a writer for the Web, it’s important to learn about social media so marketing efforts can be maximized, writing materials can conform to current standards, and targeted audiences can be reached.
The following is not an exhaustive list; these are just some of the most commonly used social media sites.
- Facebook: Facebook is a social networking Web site that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter: Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets.
See Also: 50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business
- YouTube: YouTube is a video-sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos.
See Also: 34 Ways to Use YouTube for Business
- Flickr: Flickr is an image and video hosting Web site, web services suite, and online community created by Ludicorp and later acquired by Yahoo!. In addition to being a popular Web site for users to share and embed personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
See Also: How to Market on Flickr
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a social networking site that connets professionals.
- Delicious: Delicious is a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks. The site was founded by Joshua Schachter in 2003 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005.
See Also: How To Use Delicious Like a Pro.
- MySpace: MySpace is a social networking website known for allowing its users to customize their profile pages.
- Reddit: Reddit is a social news website. Users can browse and have the option to submit links to content on the Internet or submit “self” posts that contain original, user-submitted text. Other users may then vote the posted links “up” or “down” with the most successful links gaining prominence by reaching the front page.
See Also: Writing for Reddit.
Top 100 most influential black people on digital/social media, A list of the top 100 most influential black people on digital/social media, includes klout score. Social media examiner: social media marketing how to, Social media examiner helps businesses master social media marketing to find leads, increase sales and improve branding using facebook, linkedin, twitter, google+. How many people use 800 top social networks and apps, How many people use 800+ of the top social networks, apps and digital services? last updated july 14, 2015 by craig smith 791 comments.
Teens, social media & technology overview 2015 | pew, Smartphones are fueling a shift in the communication landscape for teens. nearly three-quarters of teens now use smartphones and 92% of teens report going online. Home | social media today, Our mission at social media today is to create and to curate conversation around the world's most innovative business practices, so that we can make your work more. Social media glossary | socialbrite, The top 100 words & phrases in the social media dictionary. t he social media landscape is fast changing and filled with strange terms to the uninitiated..
Social media explorer - social media consulting, public, Alex d'amore. alex d'amore is the editor in chief of the social media explorer blog as well as the digital marketing manager for sme digital . he travels full time. Definitive portal for social media statistics globally, Socialbakers monitors over 86 billion social connections daily between brands and individuals across all major social networks.. Social media update 2013 | pew research center, Social media update 2013. 42% of online adults use multiple social networking sites, but facebook remains the platform of choice. by maeve duggan and aaron smith.