Social media is any form of online publication or presence that allows end users to engage in multi-directional conversations in or around the content on the website. In essence, social media is the use of technology combined with social interaction to create or co-create value. Social media can take many different forms, including Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, podcasts, pictures, video, and social bookmarking.
With over 200 social networking sites and many more message boards and public forums on the Web, it’s obvious social media has changed the way we communicate. As a writer for the Web, it’s important to learn about social media so marketing efforts can be maximized, writing materials can conform to current standards, and targeted audiences can be reached.
The following is not an exhaustive list; these are just some of the most commonly used social media sites.
- Facebook: Facebook is a social networking Web site that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter: Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets.
See Also: 50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business
- YouTube: YouTube is a video-sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos.
See Also: 34 Ways to Use YouTube for Business
- Flickr: Flickr is an image and video hosting Web site, web services suite, and online community created by Ludicorp and later acquired by Yahoo!. In addition to being a popular Web site for users to share and embed personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
See Also: How to Market on Flickr
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a social networking site that connets professionals.
- Delicious: Delicious is a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks. The site was founded by Joshua Schachter in 2003 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005.
See Also: How To Use Delicious Like a Pro.
- MySpace: MySpace is a social networking website known for allowing its users to customize their profile pages.
- Reddit: Reddit is a social news website. Users can browse and have the option to submit links to content on the Internet or submit “self” posts that contain original, user-submitted text. Other users may then vote the posted links “up” or “down” with the most successful links gaining prominence by reaching the front page.
See Also: Writing for Reddit.
Social media examiner: social media marketing how to, Social media examiner helps businesses master social media marketing to find leads, increase sales and improve branding using facebook, linkedin, twitter, google+. Popular baby names - social security administration, Watch our video countdown of 2013’s top 10 most popular baby names!. Social media today, Thanks to google, youtube is now a viable channel in any social media strategy.
Social media marketing - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Social media marketing is the process of gaining website traffic or attention through social media sites. social media marketing programs usually center on efforts to. Social media explorer — social media consulting, public, Social media explorer explores social media, social media marketing and public relations through commentary and analysis.. Social media update 2013 | pew research center's internet, Social media update 2013. 42% of online adults use multiple social networking sites, but facebook remains the platform of choice. by maeve duggan and aaron smith.
Social media revolution - youtube, Social media revolution (original) this video was produced in 2009 based on the book socialnomics by erik qualman. there have been two newer versions since. Reports and insights | the social media report 2012 | nielsen, Social media is coming of age. since the emergence of the first social media networks some two decades ago, social media has continued to evolve and offer consumers. Social media b2b: exploring the impact of social media on, Social media b2b is a multi-author blog that discusses how the evolving social media landscape is impacting all aspects of b2b communications..