Social media is any form of online publication or presence that allows end users to engage in multi-directional conversations in or around the content on the website. In essence, social media is the use of technology combined with social interaction to create or co-create value. Social media can take many different forms, including Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, podcasts, pictures, video, and social bookmarking.
With over 200 social networking sites and many more message boards and public forums on the Web, it’s obvious social media has changed the way we communicate. As a writer for the Web, it’s important to learn about social media so marketing efforts can be maximized, writing materials can conform to current standards, and targeted audiences can be reached.
The following is not an exhaustive list; these are just some of the most commonly used social media sites.
- Facebook: Facebook is a social networking Web site that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter: Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets.
See Also: 50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business
- YouTube: YouTube is a video-sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos.
See Also: 34 Ways to Use YouTube for Business
- Flickr: Flickr is an image and video hosting Web site, web services suite, and online community created by Ludicorp and later acquired by Yahoo!. In addition to being a popular Web site for users to share and embed personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
See Also: How to Market on Flickr
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a social networking site that connets professionals.
- Delicious: Delicious is a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks. The site was founded by Joshua Schachter in 2003 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005.
See Also: How To Use Delicious Like a Pro.
- MySpace: MySpace is a social networking website known for allowing its users to customize their profile pages.
- Reddit: Reddit is a social news website. Users can browse and have the option to submit links to content on the Internet or submit “self” posts that contain original, user-submitted text. Other users may then vote the posted links “up” or “down” with the most successful links gaining prominence by reaching the front page.
See Also: Writing for Reddit.
Social media examiner: social media marketing how to, Social media examiner helps businesses master social media marketing to find leads, increase sales and improve branding using facebook, linkedin, twitter, google+. Home | social media today, Daina middleton, head of global business marketing at twitter, will be joining us for an exclusive webinar on march 24th at 12pm et. click here to register.. Social media site usage 2014 | pew research center's, While facebook remains the most popular social media site, other platforms — like linkedin, pinterest, instagram and twitter — saw higher rates of growth over the.
The top 7 social media marketing trends that will dominate, With new social networking platforms appearing from behind every corner, it can be hard to know exactly where to commit your time and resources. and as we. Definitive portal for social media statistics globally, Socialbakers monitors over 86 billion social connections daily between brands and individuals across all major social networks.. Can we give you a hand with social media?, Can we give you a hand with social media? our simple social media tools can save you up to an hour a day and grow your traffic, too!.
Social media explorer — social media consulting, public, Social media explorer explores social media, social media marketing and public relations through commentary and analysis.. Social media week - reimagining human connectivity, A leading news platform and worldwide conference that curates and shares the best ideas, innovations and insights into how social media and technology are changing. Join — paid social media jobs, For a limited period of time we are running a series of free training webinars that teach you everything you need to know to get started making money with social.