Social media is any form of online publication or presence that allows end users to engage in multi-directional conversations in or around the content on the website. In essence, social media is the use of technology combined with social interaction to create or co-create value. Social media can take many different forms, including Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, podcasts, pictures, video, and social bookmarking.
With over 200 social networking sites and many more message boards and public forums on the Web, it’s obvious social media has changed the way we communicate. As a writer for the Web, it’s important to learn about social media so marketing efforts can be maximized, writing materials can conform to current standards, and targeted audiences can be reached.
The following is not an exhaustive list; these are just some of the most commonly used social media sites.
- Facebook: Facebook is a social networking Web site that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter: Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets.
See Also: 50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business
- YouTube: YouTube is a video-sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos.
See Also: 34 Ways to Use YouTube for Business
- Flickr: Flickr is an image and video hosting Web site, web services suite, and online community created by Ludicorp and later acquired by Yahoo!. In addition to being a popular Web site for users to share and embed personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
See Also: How to Market on Flickr
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a social networking site that connets professionals.
- Delicious: Delicious is a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks. The site was founded by Joshua Schachter in 2003 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005.
See Also: How To Use Delicious Like a Pro.
- MySpace: MySpace is a social networking website known for allowing its users to customize their profile pages.
- Reddit: Reddit is a social news website. Users can browse and have the option to submit links to content on the Internet or submit “self” posts that contain original, user-submitted text. Other users may then vote the posted links “up” or “down” with the most successful links gaining prominence by reaching the front page.
See Also: Writing for Reddit.
Social media site usage 2014 | pew research center, While facebook remains the most popular social media site, other platforms — like linkedin, pinterest, instagram and twitter — saw higher rates of growth over the. How many people use 800+ of the top social media - dmr, Updated august 2015. find out how many people use facebook, pinterest, twitter, google, amazon, uber, vk.com and 800 of the top social media and apps in the world.. Social media examiner: social media marketing how to, Welcome to our weekly edition of what’s hot in social media news. to help you stay up to date with social media, here are some of the news items that caught our.
Teens, social media & technology overview 2015 | pew, Social trends may. 7, 2013. gun homicide rate down 49% since 1993 peak; public unaware. fact tank aug. 27, 2015. 10 facts about religion in america. internet & tech. Home | social media today, Our mission at social media today is to create and to curate conversation around the world's most innovative business practices, so that we can make your work more. Social media glossary | socialbrite, The top 100 words & phrases in the social media dictionary. t he social media landscape is fast changing and filled with strange terms to the uninitiated..
Social media explorer - social media consulting, public, Alex d'amore. alex d'amore is the editor in chief of the social media explorer blog as well as the digital marketing manager for sme digital . he travels full time. 10 surprising social media statistics that will make you, Editor's note: this is one of the most-read leadership articles of 2013. click here to see the full list. if you’re managing social media for your business, it. Social media revolution - youtube, Social media revolution (original) this video was produced in 2009 based on the book socialnomics by erik qualman. there have been two newer versions since.